After a recent host update one of my VPS’s, a Debian 6 “Squeeze” container in OpenVZ, started spitting out errors from the logrotate cron like this:
/etc/cron.daily/logrotate: syslog-ng: Error setting capabilities, capability management disabled; error=’Operation not permitted’
The solution I found was…
- Edit the default syslog-ng file with vi /etc/default/syslog-ng
- Uncomment the line #SYSLOGNG_OPTS=”–no-caps”
- And then restart the daemon /etc/init.d/syslog-ng restart
No more errors 🙂
Adding to my list of “want to build’ items, I saw this one tonight.
OpenBeacon is an open source crystal-controlled QRPp beacon transmitter kit which can output a variety of slow-speed modes, including QRSS, DFCW, and Sequential Multi-tone Hellschreiber.
More reading at the suppliers web site.
Just because it came in handy for me, here’s how to factory reset a Brother HL-2170W.
- Turn the printer off.
- Turn the printer on while holding the GO button down.
- All lights should be off, now push the GO button 7 times, it will flash each time.
- Wait for a minute. The printer will start it’s reboot sequence.
We are in temporary accommodation and the printer was still setup on our old network and I couldn’t get into it, problem now solved.
After the reset I found the printer by looking in our router’s DHCP Lease table and set a static IP address for it’s MAC address, but that’s all easy once it’s on the network 🙂
Love this video of some guys going on a mini expedition to work QRP in north east Oregon, Eagle Cap SOTA.
Great seeing them work CW and SSB QRP from a nearly 10,000ft summit. Just an awesome take off for RF and great views!
Standing in Curtain Square Park at Carlton while the kids run around… I’m freezing my butt off and thinking is that really the best sun that Melbourne has today 🙂